Monday, November 12, 2012

Veteran's Day


HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY! With both of my grandfathers and an uncle being a veteran, as well as other family members currently serving, this day serves special meaning to me and is very near and dear to my heart. Today, we all shared stories of family members or friends who have served. Everyone in our class had some kind of connection with soldiers, whether it was a family member, family friend, or a nice serviceman/woman they met at the grocery store. We discussed how great it is to live in such a wonderful country with all of the freedoms we have. We then did a writing activity about “Soldiers we LOVE”. 




HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY! Thank you to all of our brave service men and women who risk their lives for us. I think we often take our freedoms for granted, I know I do. We are so grateful for your bravery and serving hearts.Thank you for defending this great country we call home.


Below are pictures of three of my favorite veterans, and are all Soldiers I LOVE.  The picture on the left is  my 98 year old Grandfather. He started his service for the US Navy in 1932 and served for 24 years. He served in WWII, the Korean War, and was on the Battleship Texas (BB-35). The picture on the right is my 83 year old Grandfather who served in the Marines during the Korean war. And the picture underneath is of my Uncle who served as a Colonel for the Air Force, he served for a total of 24 years. These three men are my heroes. I told the kiddos about these men because I think it is so important for us to not forget about what those before us fought for, and not forget our history. It is all so important, and is good to remember to help keep us humble as a Nation. It is because of great men and women like these that we have our freedoms, and are able to live our daily lives the way we do. If you have pictures, that you would like to share, of loved ones that have served, please send them with your child and we will display them in our classroom! They could be veterans or currently serving!
We would like to honor them this month!



3 comments:

  1. Erin, Quite an honor. I feel like I got my own parade. Love, Uncle Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Well thank you so much for everything! We are so grateful for your service and really enjoyed honoring you! :)

      Delete
  2. It's nice that the kids got to hear their stories - they are heroes.

    ReplyDelete